• We are aware of sporadic errors when browsing our site. This is an issue with our hosting provider and not something we can fix on our end. We are hopeful it will be resolved soon. ~VintagePC

Nvidia Graphics Card Comparison

NVIDIA GFX Cards

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

[FFN] Mika

I recently built a mid-tower gaming rig with a NVIDIA GTX 670, and I was wondering if it would have been worth it to get a 680. I only have one monitor, and of course that's still overkill for tf2 (200 fps), but for games like BF3, I only get around 40 fps, sometimes dropping down to the low 20s. A 690 would have been total overkill for only one monitor. I'm wondering if in the future if I get another monitor if my computer could pull it at a reasonable fps.

Changing from a 670 to a 680/690 isn't going to be a whole lot of noticeable difference, unless there is a large change in the amount of processing cores, or memory between those versions. About the only way you're gonna run a game like BF3 with no FPS issues, is Solid State drive, SLI, and an i7 processor :p You should be ok though switching over to 2 monitors, since the game will only be processed still on the 1 monitor.

I concur. Pocket your upgrade cash and come back next year (or the year after that) for the next generation. Nvidia's best GPU isn't worth the extra cash for a single monitor.

I have a 670 Stock overclocked and I get the same fps if not better than a 680 and it still runs pretty cool. Check out Afterburner, that can help overclock your card if you want and can also so you what your card is really doing. I like Virtu MVP but that thing has given me soo many issues that I have given up on it and uninstalled it.

Also are you running the card on PCI-E 3.0 or 2.0, When I first got my card I was running it at 3.0 but it kept crashing or not running as fast because the software just can't support it yet so I had to switch it to 2.0 and it actually started running faster and smoother and I can run any game at max spec.

Thanks for all the feedback. I haven't had any problems with PCI-E 3.0 and Virtu MVP, and my 670 is factory overclocked to 680 clock speeds. Probably a better choice to save the $80.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48659 Members
(7270 Online 379 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom