• We are aware of sporadic errors when browsing our site. This is an issue with our hosting provider and not something we can fix on our end. We are hopeful it will be resolved soon. ~VintagePC

Intended Operating System poll

Which OS will you be using once W10 goes out of support Q4 2025?

• ...still W10 (duh)

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • You can pry W7 (or Vista, XP, 2000, 95, etc.) from my cold dead hands

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Linux for life!

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Microsoft supported W11

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • macOS

• other, please explain

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

CompMeistR

Achievement Hunter
VF4-A (Admin)
Staff Member
This poll came to mind since:
Valve has been making gaming on Linux quite viable,
Windows 10 is losing mainstream security updates/support next fall,
and Windows 11 is a bit polarizing, to say the least.

I've been uslng Linux as the daily driver on my home machines since 2006

i keep meaning to make the jump to linux full time because im sick of windows' shit but idk, it's a big leap to make. ideally i'd want to live with it on a secondary device for a while before i fully commit to running my main PC on linux. i have a laptop but i bought it second hand so i cant access the bios nor boot from external media

Yeah, there is definitely a learning curve. You might be able to play around with it in a virtual machine to get you started, or even using WSL2 to familiarize yourself with the environment

linux was weird when i started using it. there are obvious downsides that come from an open source project. things break on occasion if you are running a distro with the most recent software. and because the maintainers are usually programmers and not tech support, it can be hard to deal with issues right away. it helps to have an understanding of your system, but obviously that takes time (and maybe you wont ever learn what specific parts of the OS do if you use a distro that "just works"). but at least these issues come from a missunderstanding or a human mistake, instead of corporate greed or stuff like that. besides, you are using it for free too.
but these are edge cases and most of the time, when doing day to day things on most distros (looking at you gentoo), things just work.

linux is pretty fun when you have the right hardware. my good ol' thinkpad T470 ran for a few months on Void Linux very smoothly, then spent almost a year on macOS as an experiment (it worked better than i expected it to, but definitely worse than i would've liked), and now i'm using proper W10. microsoft account and all.

i think i'm gonna eventually upgrade my laptop to W11 (preferrably in a direct way if Microsoft ever allows 7th gen intel core CPUs to directly upgrade the system, currently the bottom line is 8th gen), while my desktop will either stay on W10 or move to linux.

the problem is that my desktop has an nvidia GPU and limited resources, which definitely makes running things more complicated. i'm talking a 1st gen intel core i5 released in 2009, GTX 1050, 8GB of DDR3 memory. runs the games i need it to just fine, though!

i previously ran linux on it with some success, but it definitely could've been better. looking to see if NixOS confirms my expectations, been a year since i've last used it. planning to switch my arch server to it later this summer. if all goes well - may finally try it out on my gaming machine after W10 EOL-s.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48659 Members
(6836 Online 328 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom