• We are aware of sporadic errors when browsing our site. This is an issue with our hosting provider and not something we can fix on our end. We are hopeful it will be resolved soon. ~VintagePC

[Resolved] Make "Mute" apply only to voice, or make voice and text mute separate

FunkySusie

VF4 Supporter
Greetings. I should give some context. Over the past few days, maybe a week or two, I renamed myself to "Funk Gaming (Susie)" and was playing funky music over the voice chat. Often I did it without proximity on, which technically broke the rules, however I wasn't a douchebag about it. I played it not to annoy people or make myself stand out (well maybe just a little about standing out), but to share good music and have a nice playing experience. I was careful about the volume, to make it as good of a listen as possible. If someone asked me to stop I did, and I wasn't pushing it. Later some people started to ask me to play music, in which case I did. The reason for why I did it without proximity is because I play spy a lot, and also because you only really hear it when you are very close to the player using vc.

Well, yesterday I learned that if you mute someone, that extends to the text chat as well. That got me really worried. I discussed this with Stupid Sexy Flangers last night, which is why I'm writing here now. I'm stressed because I'm worried that people in the community who like me, or don't dislike me and would like to see my text messages, but who muted me when I was playing music, have now possibly forgotten about that action, and now I'm unable to talk to them. The bad thing is that I have no idea of checking that, and no way of telling them, besides adding them as friends on steam and asking there. It makes me feel very bad, unsure if people can hear me or if I'm talking into a wall.

I don't know how this works, if it's client or server sided, but I would like it, if vc mute and chat mute were separate, or that mute would apply only to voice. I understand why it's done like that. There are a lot of doughebags in the game, who one might wanna get rid of, but as seen here mute might not JUST be used for that.

Another thing that can make this situation better is knowing if a certain player muted me, so I can be aware of it. But I understand the downside of this action, as it might make targetted harassment worse.

Hope to get this going into one direction or another.forest-dither-scaled.png

For any of the player initiated mutes (which is what you appear to be asking about) I think that's not directly in our control - it's the stock game's mute system - so I can't really offer any insight there.

Certainly for staff issuing mutes there is the option to do either or both, but that's a completely different mechanism.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48659 Members
(6836 Online 328 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom