• We are aware of sporadic errors when browsing our site. This is an issue with our hosting provider and not something we can fix on our end. We are hopeful it will be resolved soon. ~VintagePC

Proof-of-concept demo: TF2 Classic compiled and running on OS X (Macintosh)

Boctor

Noob
After seeing the nice release of the mod for the Linux version of SDK 2013, I wondered, "do the people doing the porting have access to OS X? Would the mod's code on git (2.0.0b3 branch) make XCode go insane? Where is Valve's documentation for cross-platform?" (It was later found in the small rural town of Nowhere.)
After a few hours of work and compiling about a thousand-dozen source files, and putting the resulting two .dylib binaries in the mod's release available here, I managed to get it working as "natively" as any other Source game on OS X (see: ToGL.) Some things like the UI fonts and .bik movies seem to be Windows-only (my memory is fuzzy as I haven't played TF2 on Linux since it was in closed beta), but the game is there, and it seems to work just fine. It may need the "-steam" hotfix like the GNU/Linux port, but I did the initial testing on a friend's insecure server. Framerates were outstanding, and even with the rather hefty "new" explosion/rocket/fire particles, the game ran as smooth as hot butter. This video illustrates everything but the latter, as rendering 60FPS YouTubes is no fun after an all-nighter.

[youtube]r892Biu47Uw[/youtube]

All the disclaimers and fun "please don't sue me" notes are crammed into the first few seconds for pausing and reading. Whole video was hastily recorded in Quicktime, but as I said before, this mod runs smooth as butter thanks to lacking the hacky workarounds and failed experiments that TF2 has been getting ever since the ironically named "Hatless Update". I applaud these framerates. If I didn't make it blindingly obvious, this currently nothing but a carefully fanmade port using nothing external. If a developer wants the avalanche of source files, I can oblige. Or if they say so, anyone interested may touch the code/bins.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48659 Members
(6836 Online 328 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom