• We are aware of sporadic errors when browsing our site. This is an issue with our hosting provider and not something we can fix on our end. We are hopeful it will be resolved soon. ~VintagePC

Remember to unplug your USB devices when you install an OS

lonesome killer

Banhammered
I forgot to unplug my wireless adapter and it got fried. I tested it on a computer that I know works. I installed the drivers from the website before plugging it in. It's gone. :'( Thank goodness I had the extended warranty!

Sense make this does not.

I'd chalk it up to coincidence unless the adapter or your motherboard was defective/had a design flaw. There's no way to destroy a usb device just by communicating with it unless it's poorly designed. (Exampe was the intel e1000 wired cards a few years back that had a firmware bug that could brick them in certain circumstances). That, or the +5V line for the usb device is putting out more than 5V.

Is it a Microsoft Mouse with the Micro USB wireless adapter? If it is, that is the problem, I had three MS Mice in a row that had the USB adapter fry before I gave up on them and went back to logitech.

Yeah, I opened this expecting "USB Hard Drive with all my pr0nz got formatted" but this....

Nope. It's a coincidence.

Who downloads that stuff anymore Reechard when you can stream it? I only have 1 movie downloaded incase for extreme emergencies when the power goes out.

It wasn't a mouse. It was a Netgear WNDA3100 802.11 N adapter.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48659 Members
(7999 Online 414 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom